Lettuce (let us?) not forget (I'm having so much fun I'm struggling to maintain my righteous indignation) - er.. where was...- AH!
....RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION at a process causing all this CRAP which (the debt limit, I'm talking about now) WAS ORIGINALLY A NOTIONAL LINE IN THE SAND DRAWN BY (ready? - need I really SAY it?) - OK, OK - by THEM!!
In an insane terminally-macho effort to make a point to the Commie Pinko Keynesians that we Red-Blooded Americans were infused by a righteous God with the self-discipline to manage our fiscal house along Old Testiment lines - (or something like that) - memory gets a touch hazy occasionally.
ANYWAY - you get the point I trust?
Sure - it was another Congress way back when - but they were all Americans injecting a touch of Judeo-Christian discipline solely for the symbolism to impress I can't even begin to recall who - maybe old Jacobo Arbenz of Guatemala engaged in a pis*ing contest with our (the US) United Fruit Co. (Chiquita Banana ring any bells?) over domestic (Guatemalan) control of their Banana Trade. - frankly, I have no idea if it was Jacobo or not - but SOMEBODY or SOMETHING equally idiotic resulting in what we see before us today not to mention our covert paramilitary overthrow of Arbenz mere months later in what was essentially the CIAs first "covert" operation since the end of WWII.
Well - now THAT was fun - I hope you enjoyed it half as much as I did - in fact, as I said - it could very well be ALL WRONG (my history lesson is factual - admittedly from memory - but may not be the actual impetus for the debt ceiling affectation.
In my defense, even if it is NOT - my error pales in comparison to the obscenity being acted out every day inside the Washington Beltway.
COMING FULL CIRCLE - debt ceiling deadline postponed sans any meaningful effort at closure just prior to the below exchange taking place in the space-time continuim that Congress seems so adept at managing lately.
But I digress....
Debt Ceiling deadline kicked down the road - CUT!
Que the Silver Sellers - camera..and - ACTION..

