InterBLOG
|
|
| Trading | Economy | Legacy | Managed | Blog |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Interconti
Java Time Applet
Java Time Applet
Click to View Full Size Online
| DOW | NASDAQ | S&P |
| 12 MONTHS | 12 MONTHS | 12 MONTHS |
| 03 Month YIELD | YIELD CURVE | 10 Year YIELD |
| GOLD | LIBOR | CRUDE |
| LIVE | DELAYED | LIVE |
| Dow Jones Indices | Dorman/Barcharts | CME Futures |
|
|
|
|
|
|
Bureau Economic Analysis Bureau Labor Statistics
| |
CME does carry a handful of independent analysts on their site
- Gramza is one)
|
|
Energies, Grains, Forex |
|
|
| CTA Expo | NIBA | EMF |
City |
||||
TBD|TBA |
2015 |
2015 |
2015 |
2015 |
CME Insights|Analysis
CME Open|Markets
"Resource Investor" - Physicals
Bureau of Economic Analysis
Census Bureau Economics
08 August 2009
Art Cashin: The 'Accelerated Selling' Scenario
EARLY last week, I alluded to and included a video of Art Cashin's concerns over whether this rally s a dead-cat bounce or something more. Met Cashin a few times thru Bob Seijas (Dir Floor OPS - NYSE) for whom I worked as a runner during my last months of MLPF&S training. Through Seijas, I was introduced to Cashin over drinks at the Bull & Bear Bar which is the NYSE equivalent of CERES' at CBOT. I mention this bit of useless trivia because I just read Ty Andros' current "TedBits" issue: http://www.traderview.com/Ty_Bio.cfm
... in which Ty berates the CNBC talking heads as Wall Street "Cheerleaders" which, indeed, they ARE.
I'm not quite so quick to cast aspersions however because I know something about broadcast media, how it works now (and has for generations), not to mention how the general media business model was/is constructed both pre and post internet...
While I won't take issue with Ty's aspersions, I'm a bit less "strident" in my denuciation of the media and most certainly not critical of Cashin, Seijas et al, who do their on-air commentaries as part of their obligations to their employers' wishes as well as to their compatriots with whom they interact on the NYSE floor moment to moment every trading day. Both Seijas (who by now is roughly five years into retirement, I believe) and Cashin have reps to protect which have been built up through innumerable management changes at their firms over literally GENERATIONS of effort. So I give prognostications from guys like these the credence I feel they deserve...
As such (and in light of my earlier-this-week coverage of Cashin's concerns), I've taken the time to seek out his commentary AFTER Friday's employment sit/rep.
True to technicians worldwide, Cashin meets the fulfillment of his best hopes not with "satisfaction" so much as just another set of resistance lines to be overcome.
No doubt a huge disappointment to many, such are the fundamentals of technical analyses (I love that line - hope to use it again someday). There's ALWAYS another resistance to be mounted as well as another support to be broken. And so it goes...
Published: Friday, 7 Aug 2009 11:58 AM ET
U.S. employers cut far fewer jobs than had been expected, the Labor Department said Friday. What's it mean for stocks?
Art Cashin, director of floor operations for UBS Financial Services, offered CNBC his market insights.
The jobs report seemed to look good, Cashin conceded. "But sustainability is my concern. I think the market will be happy with [the report], but we've got some important resistance to get through here." Has S&P resistance moved up on the seemingly brighter jobs picture? Cashin believes not. "You can punch through, but there's further resistance up at 1015, 1019."
T. W. Merryman
Managing Director
Interconti, Limited
(Market Research Analysts)
Chicago, IL 60604
e: intercon@intercontilimited.com
w: www.intercontilimited.com
Labels:
Trading Insights

